I’ve been working toward this goal most recently at PayPal Inc. I love working with creative individuals that can bring strong critique as well as laugh at the latest meme. I thrive on the challenge of leading interaction and visual design efforts with product and development staff toward results that meet business and UX goals. I strive to take every opportunity to grow through teammates, trainings, industry events and online resources.
I continually test emerging tools and methods to find the most effective workflow. After years of designing and developing the interwebs, I know my PNGs, PSDs, CLI, Git, IA, UI, UX and UAT. My days are lived in white board sketches, flows, wireframes, mockups, wiki pages, test results, and of course Web Inspector. I admire multi-device strategy, design thinking, user testing, agile dev, and lean UX. I avoid vague meetings, hasty reactions and deadly scope creep.
2016 to Present - PayPal Inc.
Sr. User Experience Designer, Foundations
- Establishing design system artifacts and processes to improve design across the range of product design groups at PayPal.
2011 to 2016 - Move Inc./Realtor.com
Sr. User Experience Designer, Consumer UX group
- Lead designer for Realtor.com responsive search results experience project
- Lead designer for Realtor.com map search redesign
- Lead designer for Realtor.com pattern library
- Lead designer for Realtor.com Mortgage iOS/Android mobile app
- Samples available upon request
- Frequent contributor to UX team design reviews, forums, and design documentation
- Agile scrum trained, worked closely with developers in agile sprints
- Recently added interaction/animation/motion design prototyping skills
- Familiarity with HTML/CSS has increased my capability to collaborate with developers
- Collaborating with user researcher staff to design and execute in-lab and remote usability testing - Integrating findings back into project work
- Advocate for utilizing modern front end frameworks, responsive design, living style guides and pattern libraries
- Advocate for utilizing modern prototyping tools in the team’s process (Sketch, InVision, Principle, etc)
- Continually seeking knowledge from industry events, lectures, conferences, books, blogs, etc.
1997 to Present - James Carleton Design / E&J Design
- Freelance designer providing design/dev services to a variety of businesses and organizations, large and small.
- Sold, managed, and delivered a range of consulting services. Later formed E&J Design with expanded staff and service capacity
- I enjoy using side work as a playground to sharpen my skills and explore new approaches and tech
2010 to 2011 - Tinyprints (a Shutterﬂy Co.)
- Front End Developer for two booming e-commerce stationery brands: tinyprints.com and weddingpaperdivas.com
- Programmed HTML/CSS for website re-brand, seasonal edits, SEO and marketing emails
- As I left they were acquired by Shutterfly. Coincidence?
- Lots of stuff from pizza delivery to 3d modeling
1998 to 2003 - Bachelor of Science: Industrial Design
- San Jose State University
- Scholarship winner, student IDSA member/officer
- Spent many nights in the workshop
1996 to 1998 - Associates: Art
- Hartnell College
- Took all the art & design classes offered
- Took apart electronics, sometimes fixed them
- Fixed hot rods
- Geocities webmaster
I like to keep things simple, but can provide more details as needed.
Let’s talk :)